George III Gregorian Library Reflector Telescope by Wellington of Soho, London
Item Stock Code B5828 
Item Description

A late eighteenth century Gregorian reflector or reflecting telescope by Wellington of Crown Court, Soho, London.

This large and magnificent brass terrestrial and astronomical library telescope is 30” long with a diameter of four and a quarter inches. Focus is achieved by means of a threaded length of brass which connects to an internal ratchet which in turn moves a small concave ellipsoid mirror within the barrel. Light is reflected onto this mirror by means of a concave paraboloid mirror at the top of the barrel and where it can then be viewed through the eyepiece. The telescope is mounted upon a heavy brass tripod which has retracting legs and the makers name “Wellington, Crown Court, Soho, London” is beautifully engraved at the base of the column. IT is complete with its original brass end cap.

Telescopes by this maker rarely appear on the market although the family traded from 1784 to 1827. The founder Alexander Wellington began work in Sherborne Lane, Lombard St, London in 1784 but had moved to their more commonly known address of 20 Crown Court, Soho, London by 1788 where the family continued to trade until the company closed its doors. Alexander Wellington died in 1812 whereafter the business was renamed Wellington and Son with his wife Mary managing the company s affairs. Evidently the son either died or left the business somewhere around 1816 as Mary Wellington traded alone until 1827. This telescope dates from the early period of the company and can therefore be attributed to the hands of Alexander Wellington and it remains in superb untouched condition.

A rare opportunity to own a large and early reflector by a quality eighteenth century maker.

Circa 1790 - 1800

 
Dimensions 52cm (20.5") - High
75cm (29.5") - Wide
35cm (13.8") - Deep  
Price £3,295 / $5,091 / €4,613   (conversion amounts are approximate)
More Information Please enquire or call +44 (0)1722 410 634 for more information or to purchase this item.
Share This Item
Salisbury Antiques Centre
94 Wilton Road
Salisbury
Wiltshire
SP2 7JJ

Open: Weekdays 10:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday 10:00am - 5:00pm
Closed: Sunday

Telephone: +44 (0)1722 410634
Please click on the thumbnails below to change the larger image on the left.

 

At Salisbury Antiques Centre we have a large selection of stock, including fine English 17th, 18th and 19th century furniture of all styles and for most budgets. We also have country fruitwood furniture from France and some extravagant burr walnut pieces from the Low Countries. There are many fine paintings and bronzes, ceramics, silver and decorative items for you to covet during your visit.
Proprietor and Exhibitor
'Chris Watts Antiques'
is a member of LAPADA

Mailing List Sign Up

Antiques Web Designby ph9 web design