Miscellaneous >  All Other Items

A Fine mid 19thC French Figured Elm Commode of superb colour, with 3 long drawers below a frieze drawer.

Circa 1850
B5732
£1,950 / $3,013 / €2,730


A very good George III Mahogany Sofa Table of excellent colour and patina.  The top with triple bandings of tulip wood, satinwood and rosewood, above 2 drawers, shaped standard ends and ebony inlaid sabre supports to original castors.

Circa 1795

Measurements are for table open
B5518
£5,850 / $9,038 / €8,190


An amusing North European Novelty Pipe carved as a grotesque head, with bead eyes and pointed mouth, probably briarstem & birch/alder bowl.

Circa 1900s
B5170
£195 / $301 / €273


19thC French Ormolu Candelabra or Table Centrepiece of fine quality

Circa 1880
B5580
£495 / $765 / €693


Mid 19thC Victorian "Comforter" Spaniel.  Red Splash.   Size I 

Circa 1850
B4414
£120 / $185 / €168


A Silver Topped Malacca Cane with horn ferrule.

Circa 1900
B5034
£110 / $170 / €154


A Pair of carved mahogany lamps, originally candlesticks of circa 1870, good detail and colour

Newly Rewired
B3917
£725 / $1,120 / €1,015


A most unusual mid 19thC Glass Basin & Jug Set of Country House Proportion, moulded 7 Cut decoration

Circa 1860-1880


B3942
£415 / $641 / €581


A Fine Regency Cut Glass Footed Sweetmeat with scalloped rim, possibly Irish

Circa 1820
B3944
£650 / $1,004 / €910


A large pair of antique oriental vases later converted to lamps.
B4592
£975 / $1,506 / €1,365


A Good Pair of Mid 19thC Staffordshire Greyhounds or Lurchers

C1860
B5528
£395 / $610 / €553


A good Faience Revolutionary Plate "Union Force" "Liberte Patrie" dated 1791
"Vive Lanation" with cannon
B5252
£65 / $100 / €91


An early 19thC Breton Marriage Plate with conjoined hearts

Fritting to rim

C1830-50
B5253
£58 / $90 / €81


A superb quality Pair of Limewood Carvings of a Husband & Wife with a hen & eggs , Austrian.  Very fine detail and no damage.

C1880-1900


B5233
£135 / $209 / €189


A lovely primative 17th/18th c Lignum Vitae Dice Cup and Shaker.  Superb Patina and condition - no restorations

C1680
B5234
£180 / $278 / €252


A superb Walnut Carving of a European Bison from the Bialowieza Forest, Eastern Poland

Circa 1950
B5422
£110 / $170 / €154


A Fine pair of 19thc Recumbent Greyhounds with trophy hares 

Circa 1880
B5788
£395 / $610 / €553


A good Uzbekistan Ersari Rug C1920
B5758
£1,250 / $1,931 / €1,750


A good Yomut Turkmen (Central Asian) Ensi (small rug/hanging) c1920
B5757
£1,150 / $1,777 / €1,610


A late eighteenth century Gregorian reflector or reflecting telescope by Wellington of Crown Court, Soho, London.

This large and magnificent brass terrestrial and astronomical library telescope is 30” long with a diameter of four and a quarter inches. Focus is achieved by means of a threaded length of brass which connects to an internal ratchet which in turn moves a small concave ellipsoid mirror within the barrel. Light is reflected onto this mirror by means of a concave paraboloid mirror at the top of the barrel and where it can then be viewed through the eyepiece. The telescope is mounted upon a heavy brass tripod which has retracting legs and the makers name “Wellington, Crown Court, Soho, London” is beautifully engraved at the base of the column. IT is complete with its original brass end cap.

Telescopes by this maker rarely appear on the market although the family traded from 1784 to 1827. The founder Alexander Wellington began work in Sherborne Lane, Lombard St, London in 1784 but had moved to their more commonly known address of 20 Crown Court, Soho, London by 1788 where the family continued to trade until the company closed its doors. Alexander Wellington died in 1812 whereafter the business was renamed Wellington and Son with his wife Mary managing the company s affairs. Evidently the son either died or left the business somewhere around 1816 as Mary Wellington traded alone until 1827. This telescope dates from the early period of the company and can therefore be attributed to the hands of Alexander Wellington and it remains in superb untouched condition.

A rare opportunity to own a large and early reflector by a quality eighteenth century maker.

Circa 1790 - 1800

B5828
£3,295 / $5,091 / €4,613


A boxed set of shooting place markers by William Powell & Son Gunmakers Ltd of Birmingham

This superb set of ten place markers are fashioned from glass shot vials (all numbered individually to the base) with silver hallmarked lids designed in the shape of 12 bore cartridges. They are hallmarked for Birmingham 2003 with the silvermakers initials of HH. All our housed within a brown leather case with velvet interior and the William Powell & Son gunmaker s trade card on the inside of the lid.

Founded in 1802, William Powell have been a leading gunsmiths since their inception. Joined by his son (also William) in 1844, the company were exhibitors at The Great Exhibition of 1850 and had moved to their famous premises on Carrs Lane in 1860. The company was eventually sold out of family ownership in 2008 and the manufacturing base was moved to Banbury.

In superb condition, this set is complete and the glass is all free from chips or breaks.

B5013
£795 / $1,228 / €1,113


A very rare and complete early Victorian cased student s field telescope by WE & F Newton, Fleet Street, London.

This super little brass six draw telescope with one inch diameter objective lens has a rare red and black striped baleen covered barrel and original brass end cap. The case is covered in original dark red leather with eye hook closers and a red velvet sectioned interior. The contents also include the original stand with barrel clasp and end cap which reveals a threaded screw rather than legs, making it practical for use in the field where it may be screwed down into a tree branch for stability. The set is completed with an additional eye piece lens however it must be noted that there is a small chip present on this accessory. Focus can still be achieved but the chip does present itself when in use. Please note, that the main objective lens contained within the telescope is in perfect condition.

The Newton s have a long and distinguished history dating back to the start of the eighteenth century, the founder being a cousin of Sir Isaac Newton. Their heyday, however was during Queen Victoria s reign where from the 1850 s the cousins William Edward and Frederic Newton were situated at their 3 Fleet Street. Temple Bar, London address. This short lived partnership traded from 1851 to 1856 but provided the basis for the company, Newton & and Co which continued to trade from that address until the early part of the twentieth century. They were scientific instrument makers to the Queen and were prize medal winners at the Great Exhibition. Newton & Co instruments are more abundantly encountered owing to the length of its trading history. These early instrument are more seldomly seen especially in such complete condition.

Baleen is a material taken from the filter feeding systems inside the mouths of whales and was a by-product of the whaling industry that was employed in the manufacture of high end handheld telescopes during the early to mid-nineteenth century. They are rarely encountered today but the material must have been selected for its durability and its ability to take coloured dye. Examples have been seen in numerous colours including green, black and red and are always of the upmost quality.

A superb complete and very collectible little cased telescope produced to the highest standards and by a rare maker. Given the company s trading dates, the telescope can be confidently dated to between 1851 and 1856.  

B5812
£995 / $1,537 / €1,393


A mid-Victorian parlour kaleidoscope on stand.

This stunning Victorian instrument is constructed from a hardboard tube with shagreen type detailing to the body and a wood and brass sectioned eyepiece and objective end. The objective end has brass spokes attached to the outer rim in order to allow for the circular hand operation. Inside the objective cell are contained numerous liquid filled glass ampules, glass canes and various metal pieces which form the kaleidoscope effect when viewed through the eyepiece and next to a light source. The kaleidoscope is complete on its original turned mahogany stand.

The kaleidoscope was invented in 1816 by the physicist, Sir David Brewster with a patent granted to him in 1817, however he was to see little financial benefit from the invention as many were produced prior to him being awarded the rights. Undeterred by the issue, Brewster went on to release a book named, “The Kaleidoscope, its history, theory & construction with its application to the fine and useful arts” in 1819. Known for other scientific endeavours, Brewster also provided improvements for the stereoscope and was knighted by William IV for his contributions to science.

This particular example is unmarked but is almost identical to those that were produced in the US by Prussian born Charles G Bush in the early 1870 s. Bush is the credited with the next stage in the development of the kaleidoscope by introducing glass liquid filled ampules into the objective cell, however these were originally mentioned by Brewster in his treatise on the instrument. Nevertheless, it is these instruments that are the most highly prized for their vivid images and are what Bush was famed for producing. This particular example follows all of the same production methods of a Bush instrument however it does not contain his signature to the side so it is likely that this is an English version created by a competitor during the period.

A lovely example in superb order which maintains good colour and vibrancy to the internal image.   

B5815
£1,295 / $2,001 / €1,813


A superb pair of early Victorian serpentine and gilt metal candlestick holders.

The candle holders are comprised of a solid circular serpentine base with three fire gilt metal struts in the form of winged lions holding a classical serpentine urn with candle mounts.

Serpentine as a decorative medium was unwittingly championed in the Victorian period by Prince Albert during a visit to the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall where the stone is most commonly found. An interesting article from the 1880 s by EW Crofts relates that in 1846, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert arrived in Mount s Bay on their steam yacht, The Victoria & Albert. After landing at Penzance, Prince Albert visited the Geological Society s Museum where he left with two specimens of serpentine in which he took particular interest.

Following this, a number of enterprising minds formed what became “The London and Penzance Serpentine Company” and in 1851 began to introduce serpentine wares to the metropolis. Another notable manufacturer was The Serpentine Marble Works of Penzance who exhibited everything from vases to fonts at The Great Exhibition and are featured in the Art Journal Illustrated Catalogue of the period.

This piece is likely to have emanated from one of these manufacturers and is an unusual and rare example of Victorian serpentine work.

B5813
£495 / $765 / €693

Prev  |  1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6  |  Next    |    Back to top

Mailing List Sign Up

Antiques Web Designby ph9 web design