Salisbury Antiques on Facebook Salisbury Antiques on Twitter
Miscellaneous >  All Other Items

Mid 19thC Victorian "Comforter" Spaniel.  Red Splash.   Size I 

Circa 1850
B4414
£120 / $185 / €168


A Silver Topped Malacca Cane with horn ferrule.

Circa 1900
B5034
£110 / $170 / €154


A Pair of carved mahogany lamps, originally candlesticks of circa 1870, good detail and colour

Newly Rewired
B3917
£725 / $1,120 / €1,015


A most unusual mid 19thC Glass Basin & Jug Set of Country House Proportion, moulded 7 Cut decoration

Circa 1860-1880


B3942
£415 / $641 / €581


A Fine Regency Cut Glass Footed Sweetmeat with scalloped rim, possibly Irish

Circa 1820
B3944
£650 / $1,004 / €910


A large pair of antique oriental vases later converted to lamps.
B4592
£975 / $1,506 / €1,365


A Good Pair of Mid 19thC Staffordshire Greyhounds or Lurchers

C1860
B5528
£395 / $610 / €553


A good Faience Revolutionary Plate "Union Force" "Liberte Patrie" dated 1791
"Vive Lanation" with cannon
B5252
£65 / $100 / €91


An early 19thC Breton Marriage Plate with conjoined hearts

Fritting to rim

C1830-50
B5253
£58 / $90 / €81


A superb quality Pair of Limewood Carvings of a Husband & Wife with a hen & eggs , Austrian.  Very fine detail and no damage.

C1880-1900


B5233
£135 / $209 / €189


A lovely primative 17th/18th c Lignum Vitae Dice Cup and Shaker.  Superb Patina and condition - no restorations

C1680
B5234
£180 / $278 / €252


An exquisite Victorian Rosewood Jewellery Box with Mother of Pearl Inlay.
B5725
£240 / $371 / €336


A superb Walnut Carving of a European Bison from the Bialowieza Forest, Eastern Poland

Circa 1950
B5422
£110 / $170 / €154


A Fine pair of 19thc Recumbent Greyhounds with trophy hares 

Circa 1880
B5788
£395 / $610 / €553


A good Uzbekistan Ersari Rug C1920
B5758
£1,250 / $1,931 / €1,750


A good Yomut Turkmen (Central Asian) Ensi (small rug/hanging) c1920
B5757
£1,150 / $1,777 / €1,610


A late eighteenth century Gregorian reflector or reflecting telescope by Wellington of Crown Court, Soho, London.

This large and magnificent brass terrestrial and astronomical library telescope is 30” long with a diameter of four and a quarter inches. Focus is achieved by means of a threaded length of brass which connects to an internal ratchet which in turn moves a small concave ellipsoid mirror within the barrel. Light is reflected onto this mirror by means of a concave paraboloid mirror at the top of the barrel and where it can then be viewed through the eyepiece. The telescope is mounted upon a heavy brass tripod which has retracting legs and the makers name “Wellington, Crown Court, Soho, London” is beautifully engraved at the base of the column. IT is complete with its original brass end cap.

Telescopes by this maker rarely appear on the market although the family traded from 1784 to 1827. The founder Alexander Wellington began work in Sherborne Lane, Lombard St, London in 1784 but had moved to their more commonly known address of 20 Crown Court, Soho, London by 1788 where the family continued to trade until the company closed its doors. Alexander Wellington died in 1812 whereafter the business was renamed Wellington and Son with his wife Mary managing the company s affairs. Evidently the son either died or left the business somewhere around 1816 as Mary Wellington traded alone until 1827. This telescope dates from the early period of the company and can therefore be attributed to the hands of Alexander Wellington and it remains in superb untouched condition.

A rare opportunity to own a large and early reflector by a quality eighteenth century maker.

Circa 1790 - 1800

B5828
£3,295 / $5,091 / €4,613


A boxed set of shooting place markers by William Powell & Son Gunmakers Ltd of Birmingham

This superb set of ten place markers are fashioned from glass shot vials (all numbered individually to the base) with silver hallmarked lids designed in the shape of 12 bore cartridges. They are hallmarked for Birmingham 2003 with the silvermakers initials of HH. All our housed within a brown leather case with velvet interior and the William Powell & Son gunmaker s trade card on the inside of the lid.

Founded in 1802, William Powell have been a leading gunsmiths since their inception. Joined by his son (also William) in 1844, the company were exhibitors at The Great Exhibition of 1850 and had moved to their famous premises on Carrs Lane in 1860. The company was eventually sold out of family ownership in 2008 and the manufacturing base was moved to Banbury.

In superb condition, this set is complete and the glass is all free from chips or breaks.

B5013
£795 / $1,228 / €1,113


An extremely rare and unusual 10” dial brass aneroid barometer on ebonised stand and copper plated decorative feet by WJ Hassard & Co, Opticians, 209 Sauchiehall Street Glasgow.

Apart from its unusual size this barometer also stands out for its quality of manufacture. It has a beautifully silvered dial with rose engine turned decoration to the centre and is further complemented by a Fahrenheit thermometer surround.

It stands on a specifically manufactured wooden base which has been ebonised to complement the brass case of the barometer and sits on a set of four bold copper plated feet which have been cast with profuse classical decoration.

The inclusion of the Retailers name on such pieces was common throughout the nineteenth century and owing to its size it is sensible to conclude that this may have formed part of WJ Hassard & Co s shop window display at 209 Sauchiehall Street during the late 1890 s.

We can be certain that the piece was manufactured during this period as the shop was under Hassard s ownership for a fairly short period from 1894 to 1902. The address had been the site of an optician and scientific instrument makers since the mid nineteenth century where until 1891 a James white Optician had been successfully plying his trade. Upon his death, a Mr Edwards who had previously worked at the premises took over but he too passed away a short time later in 1893. This resulted in J Hassard s tenure at 209 Sauchiehall St which finally ended on the 24 th January 1902 with a William Roberton taking over the business by mutual consent with an announcement printed in The Gazette. Sadly, little is known of Mr Hassard s circumstances.

To support the large 10” dial barometer, the stand measure 50cms in height.

B5818
£1,495 / $2,310 / €2,093


A late Victorian Railway Coal Wagon Tobacco box

This large tobacco box was originally retailed and advertised as “The Railway Coal Waggon Cigar & Cigarette Cabinet. The Latest Novelty, Made in London” and has a registered design number 230537 lodged by a Walter Ofield on the 12 th of April 1894. Little information about Mr Ofield remains other than he is listed in the registration documentation as trading as a “fancy cabinet maker” from an address of 69 Rushton Street, St John s Road, London. He must have been proud of his title as his occupation changes from ‘Cabinet Maker in the 1881 and 1891 census records to ‘Fancy Cabinet Maker in both 1901 and 1911. The census records further allow us to understand that Mr Ofield was 32 when he lodged the design, whether his ingenious tobacco box was his only form of income is sadly unknown.

This superbly crafted box is constructed from oak with a hinged lid and interior fitted out to allow for the storage of cigars and cigarettes to each side. It contains its original match striker and the hole to the central section would have contained an ashtray and the top receptacle to allow for the storage of matches. The lid of the wagon has coal affixed to the top giving it a satisfyingly realistic finish.

The box is affixed to a carriage base with wheel, all completed in brass with a silvered finish. Most examples are without the majority of their original coal and lack the original finish to wheels. This example is shown as it would have been intended for retail during the late nineteenth century.

The carriage has the painted initials BAGS to the side of the body which relates to the Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway a formerly British owned Argentine railway.

A super quality example of this rare piece of tobaciana.  

B5806
£1,295 / $2,001 / €1,813


A very rare and complete early Victorian cased student s field telescope by WE & F Newton, Fleet Street, London.

This super little brass six draw telescope with one inch diameter objective lens has a rare red and black striped baleen covered barrel and original brass end cap. The case is covered in original dark red leather with eye hook closers and a red velvet sectioned interior. The contents also include the original stand with barrel clasp and end cap which reveals a threaded screw rather than legs, making it practical for use in the field where it may be screwed down into a tree branch for stability. The set is completed with an additional eye piece lens however it must be noted that there is a small chip present on this accessory. Focus can still be achieved but the chip does present itself when in use. Please note, that the main objective lens contained within the telescope is in perfect condition.

The Newton s have a long and distinguished history dating back to the start of the eighteenth century, the founder being a cousin of Sir Isaac Newton. Their heyday, however was during Queen Victoria s reign where from the 1850 s the cousins William Edward and Frederic Newton were situated at their 3 Fleet Street. Temple Bar, London address. This short lived partnership traded from 1851 to 1856 but provided the basis for the company, Newton & and Co which continued to trade from that address until the early part of the twentieth century. They were scientific instrument makers to the Queen and were prize medal winners at the Great Exhibition. Newton & Co instruments are more abundantly encountered owing to the length of its trading history. These early instrument are more seldomly seen especially in such complete condition.

Baleen is a material taken from the filter feeding systems inside the mouths of whales and was a by-product of the whaling industry that was employed in the manufacture of high end handheld telescopes during the early to mid-nineteenth century. They are rarely encountered today but the material must have been selected for its durability and its ability to take coloured dye. Examples have been seen in numerous colours including green, black and red and are always of the upmost quality.

A superb complete and very collectible little cased telescope produced to the highest standards and by a rare maker. Given the company s trading dates, the telescope can be confidently dated to between 1851 and 1856.  

B5812
£995 / $1,537 / €1,393


Early twentieth century humidity reader by Negretti & Zambra

Properly named in their 1950 catalogue as a hair hygrometer or hygroscope, this instrument was used to measure relative humidity in the air with a range of 10-100% humidity.

To quote the Negretti & Zambra catalogue, “The hair hygrometer or hygroscope range 0/100% relative humidity consists of a bundle of hairs or other organic tissue which changes in length when it absorbs moisture.

There are no springs, gears or cords in the mechanism, and errors due to backlash, friction etc, are thus reduced to a minimum.

The hygroscope can be readily checked from time to time, either by wetting the element with a camel hair brush, in which case it should be read approximately 95%: or better still, by means of the wet and dry bulb whirling hygrometer.”

Negretti & Zambra retailed two version of this instrument. This particular version was dubbed the “PH/1 4 inch dial Pocket Hair Hygrometer (Hygroscope) range 0/100% relative humidity; metal case, 4.5 inch diameter overall, finished eggshell black; dial enamelled white with black divisions and figures.” How convenient it was as a pocket instrument could be debated but it remains in complete working order and has great design qualities. Manufactured along the same principals as the hygrometers encountered on antique wheel barometers where a reed of barley was used to create a similar outcome, this updated and more accurate version shows the development of the instrument into the twentieth century.

Negretti & Zambra were a leading name in the production of meteorological and scientific instruments and have a company history dating back to 1850. Throughout their long and esteemed history they exhibited at British industrial fairs throughout and became makers to both Queen Victoria and Edward VII. Owing to changes in the business, the firm ceased the public retailing of scientific instruments sometime around the late 1960 s and continued with a focus on the aviation industry in numerous guises until its eventual liquidation in the year 2000. A sad end to a hundred and fifty years of quality manufacturing.

 

B5816
£149 / $230 / €209


A mid-Victorian parlour kaleidoscope on stand.

This stunning Victorian instrument is constructed from a hardboard tube with shagreen type detailing to the body and a wood and brass sectioned eyepiece and objective end. The objective end has brass spokes attached to the outer rim in order to allow for the circular hand operation. Inside the objective cell are contained numerous liquid filled glass ampules, glass canes and various metal pieces which form the kaleidoscope effect when viewed through the eyepiece and next to a light source. The kaleidoscope is complete on its original turned mahogany stand.

The kaleidoscope was invented in 1816 by the physicist, Sir David Brewster with a patent granted to him in 1817, however he was to see little financial benefit from the invention as many were produced prior to him being awarded the rights. Undeterred by the issue, Brewster went on to release a book named, “The Kaleidoscope, its history, theory & construction with its application to the fine and useful arts” in 1819. Known for other scientific endeavours, Brewster also provided improvements for the stereoscope and was knighted by William IV for his contributions to science.

This particular example is unmarked but is almost identical to those that were produced in the US by Prussian born Charles G Bush in the early 1870 s. Bush is the credited with the next stage in the development of the kaleidoscope by introducing glass liquid filled ampules into the objective cell, however these were originally mentioned by Brewster in his treatise on the instrument. Nevertheless, it is these instruments that are the most highly prized for their vivid images and are what Bush was famed for producing. This particular example follows all of the same production methods of a Bush instrument however it does not contain his signature to the side so it is likely that this is an English version created by a competitor during the period.

A lovely example in superb order which maintains good colour and vibrancy to the internal image.   

B5815
£1,295 / $2,001 / €1,813


An early nineteenth century chondrometer or grain scale by Robert Brettell Bate of London.

The English chondrometer was devised following an Act of Parliament on the 1 st of January 1826 introducing the imperial form of measurement under George IV. This steelyard type scale was primarily used as a measure of the bulk density of grain and therefore quality of the product.

To use the scale, the brass measuring cylinder was placed upon the scale arm and filled to the brim with a sample of grain and levelled using a straightedge known as a strickle. The weight was identified by means of the sliding weight on the arm of the scale and was repeated a number of times to ensure accuracy of measurement. The outcome would determine price and space required to store the crop in question.

This early example is of superb quality and was manufactured by the most famous producers of these items during the period. It is housed within its original mahogany case with its original instructional label to the interior of the lid, giving bushel conversions for wheat, rye, barley, oats, peas, small beans, Dutch clover, canary & rape seed. The scale is constructed from a turned brass stand, brass measuring cylinder and scale arm engraved with measurements in pounds and signed to Bate London. The weight is incorporated onto the arm and is further engraved with, “pounds per Bushel, Imperial”.

Robert Brettell Bate was a very high quality manufacturer of scientific instruments working in the early part of the Nineteenth Century. Born in 1782, he took over the business from his Uncle in 1804 who had already received a commission from the Government s revenue department to produce hydrometers. This relation continued under Bate s stewardship and appears on his trade cards of the period and in 1824 was further commissioned by the Board of Excise & Ordnance to make the new national standard measures for weight & capacity. This chondrometer is an example of Bate s output following his appointment. His quality of manufacture led him to receive Royal Appointments from George IV, William IV and Queen Victoria where he acted as Optician and he further served as the Master f the Spectacle Maker s Guild in 1833. He was also known to have acted for the Admiralty as its main chart agent with numerous sub agents acting below him such as the instrument maker, George Stebbing. Bate traded from numerous addresses in Poultry street, London from 1808 to 1846 whereafter he moved to number 33 Royal Exchange in 1846 until his death in 1847.

A superb quality example of an early chondrometer by the maker who was commissioned to create the new national standard for measures at the introduction of the imperial system.

B5808
£325 / $502 / €455

Prev  |  1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6  |  Next    |    Back to top

Mailing List Sign Up

Antiques Web Designby ph9 web design